Life is full of questions - I dare to ask them and hope for answers.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Water Bankruptcy - closer then we think?



Yesterday I watched this video and it really made me think.

I come from a country where we live quite well ( used to at least ) and thoughts about lack of water doesn't cross anyone's mind.
It wasn't until I joined AIESEC that I really started hearing about sustainability and what we NEED to do in order to prevent things like water "bankruptcy" to happen.
Even in Iceland, water is not everlasting if we keep continuing to waste it. But we do have a lot of it though.

When I lived in southern France I was told to take fast showers to save water.. so I did, and I still do.
I close the tab when I'm brushing my teeth as well as when I do the dishes.
What more can I do as an individual?

Looking at this video gave me few ideas but it also showed that if my generation and the generations to come dont start thinking about this.. We will end up with water bankruptcy.
I'm not willing to let that happen.

"I am convinced that, under present conditions and considering the way water is being currently
managed, we will run out of water long before we run out of fuel.”
Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, Chairman of the Board, Nestlé, Switzerland ( taken from the website of world economic forum )

So what can an individual do?
What should we focus on?
How can we contribute to a sustainable society?

Just few other things that have been going through my mind these passed days and I wanted to share!

- with sustainable love-

No comments: