Life is full of questions - I dare to ask them and hope for answers.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Dreaming - is it right or wrong?

The topics of my posts are often quite related as the same topic reoccurs in my conversations.
Today I have been talking to my friends about dreams, hopes and expectations towards those dreams.
We were talking about if it's healthy for you to dream/want something and when/if you dont reach the dream - dont get what you want - that you start feeling bad, dragging yourself down or even doubt yourself.
So why would you?
Isn't it better to hope for nothing, be pessimistic and go with the flow like that?

My opinion is NO!!!

I realized in these discussions that my approach to this topic is as follows;
I believe in dreams.
I dream where I want to go in the future, what I want to accomplish. I dream of family and my career.
I dare to dream and work towards them.
Why?

Because my experience in the past has shown me that if I know what I want and work towards it, I get it.
But I have also experience the other side, meaning, dreaming about something and not getting it.
And of course I was sad.
But when I started to reflect on those dreams and the outcome of what would have happened if I had reached it, I also realized that these dreams weren't the right ones for me.
The dream was good, but the effect it would have, the situations it would have led me in would not have made me happy.

So my conclusion is, Not all dreams are meant to come true.

But you need to have something to strive for, that motivates you.
And if that dream doesn't come true then you have to get over it, find another dream and dream even bigger then before.
Its easily said then done because not realizing your dreams is sad and you will feel bad.
But you can not stay sad and blue.
You have to continue dreaming.

Another aspect of why people might think it's better not to dream and why you feel bad when you dont reach the dreams you have is, in my opinion, the fact that people dont just dream about something. They have built up this big expectation tree behind it. A tree that might not be realistic to begin with.
I know I do this as well, but I'm aware of it so I try to stop myself when I start to over think my dreams, build up expectations that I have now grounds for doing.
I need to learn not to put too much pressure and expectations on what should come out of my dream AFTER I realize it.

So I should focus on the dream and only the dream I want to reach and she what other dreams/hopes come from reaching them.

-with love-

No comments: